Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Grinch!

Honey Pot is 3.5 years old
Little M&M is 21 months old

Book

We started our fun Grinch unit by reading the book How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Honey Pot is obsessed with Dr. Seuss these days, so I knew she would really enjoy these activities.


Grinch Snack

I found the recipe for this snack at a blog called Preschool Alphabet. Bagged popcorn + green candy melts. Oh my, was this tasty! We enjoyed these while doing the next activity...



We also used green food coloring in our milk.


Grinch Cartoon

I did a Google search for the original Grinch movie, and found a reliable site to watch it on. The cartoon is just 25 minutes. They kids munched on their Grinch popcorn and Grinch milk, and absolutely loved the movie!

Grinch Coloring Page

I found and printed a simple coloring page as a quick activity after the movie.


I made one too, to use in our next activity.


Bixby, our Elf guest, saw my coloring page and decided to play with it as a mask the next morning. Silly elf!


Pin the Heart on the Grinch Game

I saw a few versions of this on Pinterest, and it looked like fun. I'm not very good at freehand drawing, so I usually print out templates for everything. But since this was so big, I had to try! The body is made from 3 sheets of construction paper taped together. I copied an image of the Grinch that I found on the Internet. I think it came out all right! I drew a small heart on him, and cut out three hearts, each bigger than the last. Because, well, his heart grew three sizes, remember?


The kids had lots of fun placing the larger hearts onto the Grinch! They played again and again!






Grinch Slime

The recipe for this comes from Growing a Jeweled Rose


The kids helped me mix 2 bottles of Elmer's glitter glue + peppermint extract + 1 1/2 cups warm water into one bowl. Then into the next bowl we mixed 3/4 teaspoons of Borax (which he had on hand already from our crystallized hearts experiment last Valentine's Day) + 1 1/3 cups of warm water. 



Then we mixed both solutions together, and immediately saw our slime begin to form!



We dumped out the excess water and brought our slime upstairs to play with on Honey Pot's craft table.


Ooey, gooey!


Stretchy!


And, oh so sparkly! LOVE this stuff!


Both of them were making caterpillars...


"It's a rectangle!"



Then they rolled their slime into balls to see if it would bounce.


It did!



They played for this for a long, time. Great Grinch fun!



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *