Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day!

Theme: Father’s Day
Honey Pot is 2 years and 1 month old
Little M&M is 3 months old

Dad Photo Shoot

I had seen this idea all over Pinterest, and decided to give it a try. Instead of buying the wooden letters, however, I just cut them out of chipboard myself. Honey Pot identified the letters. Then I asked her what D-A-D spells, and she said “Daddy!” Eh, pretty close. Then I did a photo shoot of my children holding the letters…and it wasn’t easy! Here are a few of my favorite outtakes:


Honey Pot poked her face and arms through the letters, kept sliding off the couch, and made grumpy faces. But eventually…and with perhaps a little bribery…I was able to get some decent ones. I printed them out and placed them in a frame. On Father’s Day, it was out on our kitchen table waiting for him, along with a photo collage I put together in Picasa.


Daddy Books

The kids and I made a trip to the library at the beginning of the week, and picked up a couple books about Daddies. We kept them out in the living room, along with a couple that we owned, and read them often until Father’s Day. Here is what we read:

Daddy Is a Doodlebug, by Bruce Degen
Daddies Do It Different, by Alan Lawrence Sitomer
Daddy Kisses, by Anne Gutman
On My Daddy’s Shoulders, by Peter Lawson

Story Walk

The idea for this came from Green Acres Hobby Farm, which I discovered on Pinterest a while ago. I decided that instead of taking photos from a book, I would create my own pages, and make it personal to Daddy and our kids. I first collected pictures of them together in various settings (the beach, a hike, the snow, etc.), from the time Honey Pot was born until the present. Then I added some simple text to go along with it. I matted them onto cardstock and attached Popsicle sticks to each.


Then on Father’s Day, we took a trip to a local park. I placed each one into the ground in a path along the water. Daddy and Honey Pot walked along, and read each page together.





I think they really enjoyed looking back at some of the wonderful Daddy moments they’ve shared.

Letter Identification

We had a quick lesson on the chalkboard as well. I wrote down a few short words, and asked Honey Pot which one spells “Dad.” We reviewed how to spell it, and then she pointed to the correct one.



Then we had some drawing fun. I drew a circle, and asked if she could draw one too. She can do pretty well, but keeps going after completing one circle, lol. So it comes out as a big swirl.



Honey Pot and I also talked about other Daddies. I asked her if she knew who Mommy’s Daddy is, and who her cousin’s Daddy is, etc. I think she’s somewhat understanding the idea that we all have Daddies.


Dressing for the Occasion

We also dressed Little M&M in an outfit sure to flatter his Daddy!


Father’s Day Picture Search

I’m a huge fan of word searches, but obviously it is a little soon to create these for my daughter. (I did do a shape search during our Valentine’s Day theme, which worked out really well!) So for today I decided to make a picture search instead. To personalize it for Daddy, we had to search the box for some of Daddy’s favorite things—favorite sport, animal, game, etc.



Honey Pot did fairly well with it, but quickly lost interest. I’m sure the promise of our upcoming dessert had nothing to do with it…

“I’m going to have a cookie! And a piece of cake! Be a big pig!”

Well, that’s what holidays are all about, right?

Happy Father’s Day!