Friday, February 24, 2012

Music

Theme Of The Day: Music

Age: 21 months

Playing Keyboard

I haven't let Honey Pot play with the keyboard in many months. But she always has a good time, so I knew I had to include it in today's unit. It was a nice introduction to today's unit. When she sees music notes, she knows what they are and says "moosic!" So we played around with the keyboard for a little while before making our own instruments!























Here she is really getting into the music!










Musical Balloons

I came across this idea from Play At Home Mom. We had all of the supplies on hand. I filled three balloons - one with pennies, one with medium pasta shells and the last with water. Then Honey Pot and I shook them up and made music! She loved the different sounds that they produced, and was later able to tell me what item was inside of each. "Noooodles!" "Waddey!" I did keep a close eye on her while playing with these...not only would a pop startle her, but the water one would make a huge mess!







































Paper Roll Flutes

This fun craft idea came from No Time For Flashcards. Honey Pot wasn't too interested in the craft part of it, and only decorated the tube minimally. So I added a few music notes myself. :) Then I placed the parchment paper and a rubber band over one end of the tube. And voila - a musical instrument! Honey Pot was perfectly content singing "do, do, do" into the tube...but once in a while she blew into it just right and produced the vibration sound. She played with this for quite a while!


























Listening To Music

Ever since Honey Pot was born, I have played her music from a playlist I created on Grooveshark. It includes upbeat and playful songs such as "Little Bitty Pretty One" and "Baby Face." I have no pictures, but I played the music for her today. In addition to dancing a little bit, we tried to keep the beat by patting our hands on our laps. She did pretty well!


Musical Water Glasses

I have seen this activity on Pinterest multiple times, but originally found it at Little Page Turners. It is like a homemade xylophone! You just fill glasses with different levels of water, and stir in a little bit of food coloring. As I tinted each cup, Honey Pot told me what color they became. She loved watching them change color! Then I provided her with three utencils, so she could explore the different sounds they make. Super fun!